View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #12
whswhs

Default Re: Point value of being unable to learn language above broken/accented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Some forms of Aphasia could be modeled by having even your native languages capped at Accented or Broken.

Some kinds of aphasia and related conditions impact comprehension as much as expression. I can actually even see someone who might be a fluent reader but only accented speaker/listener, if they have acquired brain damage (and probably also a quirk: Slow Reader).

I'm mildly aphasic and I do sometimes joke that "English is my second language, and I don't have a first one" but in reality I have a quirk-level of expressive aphasia (doesn't occur on a 15-) and a multi-media comprehension problem that's a little dyslexia and a little comprehension aphasia and a little noniconographic and a little annoying. It's easy for me to visualize what a more severe problem would look like, and intriguing to play around with how that would look as a disad.
The basic structure is, for example, <Native Language>(Broken)[-4] + Feature: Taboo Trait (No language above Broken) [0]. Though if you want to get fancy you could do stuff with One-Way Fluency or One-Way Literacy.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote