View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
kdtipa

Default Re: GURPS Modern Fantasy Setting - Alternate History Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
Where were the rifts ? In GURPS Technomancer the location of the hellstorm is of major importance. It makes a big difference whether the trolls first showed up in DC, or moscow, or in africa. Or everywhere at once. And regardless how tough they are, I would assume that a military with fifties tech could hunt them down relatively easily. If Fighter-Bombers with rockets and MBTs are not enough, there are always nukes and chemical weapons. I would be more afraid of gremlins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gremli...ns_in_aviation
The rifts were a random distribution around the world, and they shifted. So it wasn't permanent locations. Each rift would open for a few days, and then fade away.

Heavy military ordinance that could kill the trolls wouldn't likely be used if the trolls are in cities populated with innocent people. The people they're trying to save. The first notice of the trolls is when people start dying in the cities in larger numbers. Small towns were ignored as animal attacks at first. So trolls became entrenched before the authorities knew what was happening.

Trolls in this setting are meant to be tough enough that a Gatling gun would have a hard time taking a troll down before it could close distance and ruin the gunner's day. I made them purposely super tough and dangerous. They are the mechanic I'm using to put the fear of something primitive back into a society that is technologically advanced. Sure, a helicopter gun ship would likely win in a fight, but using a helicopter gun ship in a city isn't going to work as a solution.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote