View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [Loadout] Delta Operator on an intelligence op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Theoretically, but I imagine that a back-pack or satchel might be common enough not to be noticed all that much.
I meant a hidden compartment in the scooter, in addition to a satchel or backpack.

As for gear in general, it's Delta. I'm pretty sure they're the top tier in terms of being able to get permission to procure and use non-standard gear. The only reason they might not use the best night vision gear there is would probably be because "the best" isn't the best according to their standards, due to lacking Ruggedized or for some other reason isn't fit for field use during "adventuring conditions". With firearms (and grenade launchers?) there might be some pressure for each Delta trooper not to go his own unique way in terms of caliber, just so they can easily swap rounds on an as-needed basis, but beyond that I imagine it's very relaxed.

As Sir Pudding points to, there are two radically different philosophies:
The US Marine Corps (and as far as I know, the US Army is similar - I'd expect it to be) is about lots of guys individually weak but strong in numbers. Delta and similar special ops groups (each with their own areas of expertize, as defined in GURPS Special Ops) is about a small number of guys each very powerful. Some of that difference comes from more thorough training (training time, ratio of instructors to students, quality of instructors, budgeting for expendables such as ammo, and of course selection of recruits who have the potential for such training) and some of it comes from loadout budget.

Both philosophies work. That's obvious to see. But they're different, and in theory that difference is interesting, although in gaming practice the only real potential is probably in a small group of well-equipped highly trained player characters facing up against a large group of poorly equipped and poorly tained NPCs.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote