View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Varyon

Default Re: Balancing High Size Modifier

I came up with (but am still working on) a system for making Mass into a Trait rather than Feature, and adapting that to handle SM might be a good idea. Ideally, once I've got that one worked out, it and SM should be combined. I should note the ST discount isn't factored in below - ST discount was some sort of hack to try and make high SM worthwhile as far as I can tell and should be tossed to the side like so much rubbish.

The bits from there that are relevant are the change in armor/clothing weight and cost, and the change in consumption. Each +1 SM is [-5] for armor/clothing, [-3] for consumption (in settings where life support in general is limited, such as in a campaign with spaceships, [-5] may be more appropriate). Each -1 SM is [5] for armor/clothing, [5] for consumption. So far we're at [-8] for +1 SM, [10] for -1 SM.

The rest of the effects are explored in this thread (some of these values are from my post there). The various Reach, Evasion, Trampling, etc. SM effects are probably worth [5] for +1 SM, [-5] for -1 SM. SM modifies how difficult you are to see and how difficult you are to hit, and in melee modifies how easily you can hit enemies (in opposite directions, depending on if you're striking or grappling). I'd eyeball it as something like a half-level of Cosmic Dodge (because it works even when you can't Dodge) plus something like a sneaky talent; this probably works out to around [-10] for +1 SM, [10] for -1 SM. The effects of poison - high SM should require a higher dose, low SM a lower one - is probably worth around 2 points either way, for [2] for +1 SM and [-2] for -1 SM. Higher SM gives you an Intimidation bonus and a resistance to Intimidation (and balking at a charge), so [3] for +1 SM, and we'd might as well reverse it for low SM, so [-3] for -1 SM. Note everything in this paragraph works out to be an overall Feature.

Some houserules have SM affect wounding modifiers, which works out as either IT:DR (high SM) or Vulnerability (low SM) to nearly everything. If using those, area effects and external explosions should typically ignore SM (unless the target is so large they become point effects), which is arguably something like a -5% or so modifier on the trait. That's [24] for +1 SM, [-24] for -1 SM. Blowthrough may also be modified by SM, although it's easiest to just stick with basing it purely on HP.

All told, without the WM houserule we're looking at [-8] for +1 SM, [10] for -1 SM. With the WM houserule, things get switched around, for [16] for +1 SM, [-14] for -1 SM. Those are probably close enough that we can call SM a [+10] trait without the houserule (high SM being a Disadvantage), [+15] with the houserule (high SM being an Advantage). Of course, many of the above modifiers assume a pure symmetry between Advantage and Disadvantage, which isn't necessarily the case. GURPS Disadvantages are often only 60% or so the price of equivalent Advantages, due to the ability to circumvent them - above, this would probably apply to the "Reach etc." effects, the "easy to see/hit" effects, and both the poison and intimidation effects. This changes (without houserule) things to [-4] for +1 SM, [14] for +1 SM; might as well round to [-5] and [15], respectively. With the houserule coming into play, these are instead [20] and [-10], respectively.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote