View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
Refplace

Default Re: Attribute N/A, Useful concept or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Others have made similar comments. Can you elaborate?
Not sure I have anything useful to add to the thread but ok.
A magic sword could be built as everything but HT as N/A or it could have all the attributes. Even with No manipulators and no ability to move..
IQ for able to talk and cast spells
DX to aim with those spells.
ST to say resist knockback in case you chose not to use HP. That one is the most useless without manipulators or movement ability.

So I can see where you may ascribe the NA disadvantage to something but there are plenty of cases where it may not be appropriate.
As far as I can recall the only thing in RAW that is N/A is the machine metatrait that makes it effectively IQ N/A for most mental control type powers and NA for FP.

So we could add more but they should allow you to buy the attribute to 0. Also I would say typically they are advantages and base pricing (very roughly) off Immunity.

In an old game system (Ysgarth) Undead were described s a once living thing that is now missing one or more of its components.
Body, Mind, Soul/Spirit.
Remove anyone and you have an Undead rather then living thing.
Body only gave you a zombie
Body plus Mind gave you an intelligent zombie, say a mummy.
Mind and Spirit gave you a ghost or remove mind for a mindless ghost.
Whatever was missing could not be attacked.

In GURPS we do not remove the Body (HT/ST) as it can be targeted by other insubstantial things.
A rock could have Will if you ascribe to Animist beliefs.
It wants to be a rock and would resist change.
However in other settings it would be just a rock and not have a Will or IQ.

So I see us having multiple levels and options.
Default is normal attributes, bought up or down as appropriate.
Next are some advantages that make you immune to things that would affect that attribute or be resisted by them.
Say ...
Soul Less
You have no soul or spirit and cannot be harmed by anything that affects those characteristics. However you also cannot use them to resist effects.
You may have a mind but normal telepathy and magical mind powers will not work on you. You may not use your Will to resist or block any ability.

EDIT: Most of the original question can be easily handled by GM fiat and a part of the setting.
If you have a malediction that represents pyrokinesis heating someone up but is resisted by Will then the GM needs to plan for that in his campaign and either allow it or not based on what he wants for the feel.

Last edited by Refplace; 06-12-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote