View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 06:41 AM   #68
Stomoxys

Default Day 196 since leaving The Homeland

My sleep were rudely interrupted by someone yanking me out of my bed in the morning. It turned out to be Grogg and for a second I feared they were under demonic influence, but they did not appear to be enraged or otherwise hysterical and let me climb up on their shoulder once we got outside. Getting my bearings, I noted that morning had come, but the camp looked much the same as the night before. The demon bear was still sprawled on the ground close to the whirlwind wall. Kra was sitting on Grogg's other shoulder and were still visible and Grogg themselves looked worn, but not like they were about to fall over.

It soon became clear what had stirred Grogg, as Hylda's screams were able to pierce the churn of the whirlwind. Grogg roared back and set out in their direction of the wall and it looked like the intended to march straight through, so I quickly made an opening. Outside, Hylda, Nuur-Karif, and Yana were waiting, but Hylda lunged forward as soon as they saw Grogg and I was barely able to jump down before their arms enveloped Grogg. Together, they went to the tent, making it clear they intended to mate.

The rest of us dragged the cart inside and I closed the whirlwind while Nuur-Karif ran over to the bear to check on them. However, they were only able to state the obvious fact that Wolfram was wounded and there was something very strange going on with them. They also snatched away the dagger from the bear, despite my warnings, but the bear seemed oblivious to our presence. With not much else to do, Nuur-Karif and Yana erected their tent while I tested the ash. Mixing a bit of it with water, I got the same soapy feeling one gets from normal ash. It would be very unpleasant if it started raining, but Yana assured me that rain is rare in this month. On a related note, I wonder if Jori's ash is as fertile as the ash of Vaxo.

Nuur-Karif was on their way into the tent to pray and I noticed that all the ditches were empty. Being in one of those would probably give a better connection to the ground and I asked Nuur-Karif about it. They agreed, but did not seem interested and ducked into their tent followed by Yana. Grogg had woken me up earlier than I would prefer, but I could tell from Hylda's screaming that I did not wish to return to the tent. Instead, I decided to experiment and laid down in the nearest ditch. It was surprisingly pleasant and Ajaw felt warmer than above ground and I soon fell asleep, barely registering the faint tingling of magic.

I woke sometime later and stretched, feeling rejuvenated. The strange hunger I had felt since the day before was completely gone and I was not sleepy at all. Feeling energized could perhaps be explained by sleeping well in the ditch, but the lack of hunger or thirst would be more difficult to account for. I suspect I somehow absorbed energies from the ground and possibly from Ajaw as well.

Hylda's screams were still coming from the tent, but Wolfram had turned into a human and was sitting on the ground meditating. I confronted them about the demon bear, but they insisted it was not very important. Considering how their earlier rants about how horrible the demons were, this was a bit surprising. I suspect their indoctrination has been less thorough than Nuur-Karif's and, as a result, their only defense against inconsistencies is not thinking about it. In a sense, it is reassuring that their fanaticism is less severe. I can only imagine the angst if Nuur-Karif felt they had acted against the will of Ashtar.

Checking on their aura, I could not see any obvious changes since last time, but their bear auras were lurking in the background. I would have to study Wolfram in bear shape to be certain, but I got a hunch that something was off. However, Wolfram was unwilling to transform, claiming they were too hurt. They did look rather haggard and I suggested they should borrow Grogg's needle, but Wolfram said Grogg had given the needle to Odon. With a bit of prodding, Wolfram did confess their memory from the night before was jumbled, but they did not respond when I hinted that it might be due to drugs. I suppose a demon corrupting one of your shapes might disturb your mental faculties, but that would not explain Grogg's behaviour.

Before I could question them further, Paulon came in through the whirlwind with two followers and went to Odon's tent and I hurried around on the outside of the camp to the back of the tent. I had hoped to eavesdrop on Paulon's report to Odon, but I only heard the constant churn of the wind. Even without the wind, I am not sure I would have heard anything, as Odon and their followers seem to communicate at least partially without sound.

Since my little operation was a failure, I returned to Wolfram and told them about the crypt and ballista which only seemed to confuse them. They clearly needed rest, so I sneaked after Paulon when they reemerged from Odon's tent and left the camp with two new followers fresh from the ditches. Outside the whirlwind, the air was still full of ash and Paulon went down into the crypt again. I considered following them, but decided I was unlikely to learn anything new and returned to the camp.

Hylda had finally gone silent when I returned and Wolfram was nowhere to be seen. Yana was sitting outside their tent and told me Nuur-Karif was meditating. This usually means they are refilling their venom vials, which can keep them occupied for hours. I was considering what to do, when Yana suggested I could get some food. To my delight, Nyra had brought fruit, fish and bugs, so I was able to make a passable meal. Possibly the best I have had since I impersonated Matapl.

I was able to rouse Grogg, Wolfram, and Hylda from their rest and we all gathered to eat. Grogg was more than willing to tell us about what they had experienced the night before, but it seemed a bit disjointed. Grogg and Wolfram had fought each other to distract the demon until hordes of demons and horses surrounded them and wounded Nyra. The horse part is particularly suspicious as Horses are a recurring theme in Grogg's hallucinations. Grogg also claimed Odon had started crying when they saw Nyra, but had performed a wonderful medical operation to save Nyra's life. While there certainly were many interesting artifacts in the tent, I find Grogg's description of swirling light, time and smells less than plausible. To my relief, I saw no signs of demonic corruption in their aura, leaving drugs the most likely explanation.

Neither Wolfram nor Grogg were forthcoming about why they had drugged themselves, and changed the topic to what we should do next. Nuur-Karif wanted to go to Azura, convinced by my speculations that they should know something about Ashtar's twin, while Wolfram wanted to go to Byblos and murder Tivito followers. The first would require us to go to The Cities of the Prince and I am doubt the Azura priests would be able and willing to help, while Wolfram's plan started and ended with assaulting suspected Tivito members. Issues like how they were going to enter a crowded city without breaking down or how they intended to butcher the noble Larma family and get away with it did not bother them. I argued for finding Pakk and Groman and going to the ruined city. Odon had suggested it was a place of knowledge that might help with locating Ashtar's sibling or understanding the process Odon's siblings had used to capture the god. It was also much less likely to end with Wolfram attacking an army alone and dragging the rest of us down with them.

Yana and Hylda mentioned rumours of an Azura temple somewhere in the north of Arland. While a curious detail, it was far to vague and would require traveling through at least one war zone. Grogg and Wolfram would have to rest for several days before they could go anywhere anyway, so we left it at an impasse. I suggested to wolfram they should try to sleep in one of the ditches, but they only murmured something about witchcraft and disappeared into the tent while Nuur-Karif and Yana ducked into their own tent. Grogg was more receptive to the idea, but the ditches were not in troll size, so they dug their own and laid down to rest. It looked like the ditches saw more use now that Ajaw was higher in the sky.

Last edited by Stomoxys; 03-29-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Stomoxys is offline   Reply With Quote