View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Handing off Powers Stolen with Neutralize

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
well the specific use case I'm thinking of is like... you can steal someone's power to create a little orb of power that contains that power (and lasts as long as the neutralize normally lasts). You can absorb that orb to gain the stolen power, or hand it off to someone else to gain the powers. You could probably force it on someone too, if they weren't willing, but that would require slamming the orb into their body which is definitely an attack. And in theory a fast actin victim of your neutralize could potentially disarm you to snatch the orb back and there by get the power themselves.

this definitely seems like some gadget limitations on the stealable front. Applied to the power theft modifier rather than the base effect?

Although I'm also wondering about how to handle it more generally for future scenarios I might want to model it. Like being able to transplant a power but only if you can touch both targets at the time of the transplant.
The orb build you are envisioning isn't as interesting to me as a general case one that could be tweaked, but I think you're right that it's something like Can Be Stolen, but obviously a lesser version if only that use of the power is all that can taken, not the full ability.

Anyway, if I were making such a custom enhancement, I would assume the base version would be [Can Keep Power OR Transfer it to a Willing Target; Can Transfer Power Anytime Before the Duration Expires]. With those stipulations, I would figure this to be about equal to a Cosmic enhancer. Even though it is changing the way the ability works, it seems to me to be more on the level of an Increased Utility enhancement rather than a Cheating one. The inherent limitation of Power Theft (Can't use it again until the borrowed powers return to the owner) should help limit abuse.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote