View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #39
coronatiger

Default Session 8 (2019-02-02)

Thoughts on July 18th

Magnar still hadn’t returned by the time we had finished breakfast, so Kine decided she wanted to search for him in the water. As this was the second time she dove, I reasoned that she could swim after all, and that she just was repulsed by the stench. She brought a faintly glowing rock she had found in the large city we explored last week, and having good night vision, she hoped she’d be able to find him.

Kine returned, telling us she’d found him on the bottom, with a barely perceivable reddening of the water around him. She wanted to bring him back, so I joined some ropes together. At one end, I made two loops, one that she could tighten around Magnar, and one of fixed size for her to have around her chest so she didn’t have to hold the rope. It had been difficult enough swimming with the glowing rock.

We agreed on a set of signals Kine would send to us by yanking on the rope. Since she had found a few pockets of air on the way to Magnar, one yank meant that she had surfaced to take a breath, two yanks meant that she was going under again, and three yanks meant that she had attached the rope to Magnar, and wanted us to pull them back. We also agreed that if we counted more than thirty heart beats after a two-yank signal, it meant she was in trouble, and we should pull her back.

Kine started swimming, and forgot to signal us, so we pulled her back. This time, the trip had gone much worse, and she had almost drowned. I guess it was lucky that she forgot the signals. We gave up on trying to get Magnar back, and started the journey home. None of us were sure what to do with Magnar’s gear. We didn’t know if he had any relatives to whom we could send his things, but our local guild master might have an idea.

Remembering that Kine wasn’t welcome at the Mild Mole, we camped a few minutes away from the inn, again dividing the night watch in two.

Thoughts on July 19th
We got up early in the morning to be able to reach Garuk before nightfall. At the check point, the guards remembered that there had been five of us going down, and they asked where the last one was. Kine said that he’d drowned, and they replied with a shrug that these things happen. They didn’t confiscate anything, not even the magical chain weapon.

We agreed to check in at the Red Mansion, and report at the guild tomorrow. There was one good suite of rooms left at the inn, and Lady Karita took it, allowing Kine to sleep in the room meant for servants. I asked the innkeeper if Olivia and I could have the small storage room in the attic again; it was available, and he was happy to get paid for it.

Olivia and I had deliciously warm baths (with soap, finally). In remembrance of Magnar, we celebrated that we still were alive. Oh, who am I kidding? I just wanted a good tumble. I still feel sad for Magnar, though.

Thoughts on July 20th

Kine, on the other hand, had spent last night mourning Magnar’s death, drowning herself in alcohol. When Olivia and I came down after prolonged morning ablutions, we learned that she had had way too much, and had fallen into a coma. Lady Karita had been roused in the middle of the night, and a doctor had been called, but there wasn’t much he could do. We just had to hope she’d pull through.

Lady Karita and I went to the adventurers’ guild. Outside, we overheard an argument about who had the mandate to regulate income from adventuring, and what laws applied. Lady Karita recognized one of the men as a member of the governor’s House.

The guild master, hearing one of us had died, said he wanted the rest of us to report individually. Lady Karita sent me back to the inn to wake Kine while she talked to him. I couldn’t wake her, and Lady Karita came back to tell me that I should go to the interview.

After making my report, as well as I could, I was asked if I had told anyone outside the guild about what we’ve been doing. I said no, since in my mind, Olivia doesn’t count as an outsider, and the people I report to have told me to keep it secret. Anyway, they just want what’s best for Virendia, so there’s no harm in giving
them information.

Kine had just woken up when I returned to the inn. I asked her and Lady Karita if they knew of a wise woman, an herb dispenser or the like, somewhere in the city. Lady Karita told me about the shop where she bought her sleep medicine, and gave me directions. I sent Olivia there while the rest of us went back to the guild.

The guild master told us that he had received a letter from Gnomus. The hamlet where we’d found the witches and the Chaotic scrolls had been burned to the ground, and all the villagers had been killed. As the scrolls had been nailed to heads on spikes, everyone suspected the church to be responsible for the massacre. The Sidel family were convinced someone in our group was guilty of leaking secrets and had had us banned from adventuring in their domain, in and around Urdon.

I felt so betrayed. Wracked with guilt, I told Olivia the first chance I got that we had to stop reporting, since we were getting people killed. Hopefully, it’ll be believed that we just don’t have anything worthwhile to report, but I fear there may be repercussions when they realize they won’t have any more information from us.

The guild took responsibility for sending Magnar’s shield with the family coat-of-arms to his relatives, along with his gold beard wax. Everything else will be kept for a while at the guild, and if they find it too expensive to send everything, Lady Karita, Kine and I will inherit.

We got paid for the three quests we’d completed, and we sold and split the loot. I’m now filthy rich and ready to go to the auction. We checked the notice board to see if the sales item list for the auction had been posted, but we couldn’t find it. The guild master had told us it would be ready when we returned, so we asked him about it, and he said now that Magnar was dead, none of our party had the required guild rank to attend the auction.

Eager to see the list and join the bidding, I started looking around the guild hall for someone of rank. I soon found somebody, and started flirting outrageously.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote