View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #56
b-dog

Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
If the basic power type doesn't appear in the boxed set, there is roughly 0% chance of working out a system for it. If various special snowflake abilities appear ("oh, this creature does X as a fiat power! Woe to the PCs!") then it can appear as a power for a monster. If there's neither system nor special unique ability it won't appear.

Even if I really wanted Lovecraftian Horror to be central to my setting (and it was removed from Dragon Heresy), I do not wish to EVER build something unapproachable to a gamer who only has the reprinted boxed set.
That is too bad. I was hoping for a setting that had lots of different types of powers like psionics and monsters like Elder Things because if they are not in the original setting then they are hard to insert because the world is not balanced anymore and monsters with psionics will have a huge advantage over other monsters. It is sort of like the way invasive species work, the new species in a new ecosystem takes over because it’s advantages are not balanced because it has few predators or diseases or the prey don’t recognize them as predators.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote