View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #280
Icelander

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
1,200 fps at most. That's the velocity of a .45 Long Colt black powder cartridge, which has Rcl 4 in a much larger and probably heavier handgun, according to High-Tech p94. Trying to use more power than that in a tiny gun is likely to result in it flying out of the user's hand.
Even if this thing had double the velocity of the .45 Long Colt, it would still have much less momentum and therefore less recoil impulse. It's a 90 grain ball vs. 230 to 255 grain one.

The .45 Long Colt is also black powder, whereas this is using magical smokepowder which has 60% more REF for its volume. Black powder revolvers are not particularly efficient, wasting propellant energy because the cylinder seal is not perfect. As the barrel of the magical 'deringer' is a smoothbore orichalum tube with no moving parts or any need for a seal (it's a muzzle loader where the charge is ignited magically), ideally, almost all the energy generated should go toward accelerating the ball

And with Essential Air, Shape Air and Ignite Fire, the entire charge should ignite nearly instantly and with very high efficiency, accelerating the projectile to a much higher velocity than REF 0.5 black powder would.

I'm looking to benchmark quite how fast. I'm leaning toward anywhere from 1,500-2,000 fps.

If it got 1,600 fps, the recoil impulse would be about equivalent to standard pressure 9x19mm Parabellum ammunition.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-11-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote