View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
KarlKost

Default Re: Funding semi-realistic monster hunters

Keeping in line with my thoughts, I devised The Agency. The ultimate, top secret, top paranoid, conspiracy. In a world were your enemies can read minds and see the future, only extreme levels of paranoia can keep you alive. Therefore, secrecy is the MOST important aspect of it. So, they don't work out there, fighting in the open. Rather, they sponsor HUNDREDS of (less) secret organizations. Even the name "Agency" is a fiction. They have no name for themselves. Naming it would be giving a name to rally their enemies against. Instead, they are the secret patrons of groups like "Plague Hunters", "Knights of the Sun", "Secret Inquisition", "Templars Exorcists" and "Place-Your-Custom-Cool-Name-Here".

So, the monsters can tell "we will destroy the Templars!", but they will never say "The Agency is hunting us!".

Mind you that, hunting monsters is NOT their top priority.

Secrecy is.

That means that, MiBs can and DO hunt down other hunters, if they believe that there is a security threath. Better to sacrifice a few hunters... Hell, better to sacrifice ALL the templars, than to risk losing "humanity's only defense".

Those secret groups also have no idea of the existence of the Agency, save for their director, sometimes not even that.

Therefore, the players, who are Street level hunters, can come into contact with "The Wardens", "The Templars" or the "Soldiers of Ra". But, for all purposes, this group that I'm calling "Agency" doesn't exist AT ALL. They are an invisible hand that is NEVER perceived.

To keep in line of that, the Agency can even go so far as to make different secret societies of hunters to engage on war against each other, eventually. So, it is possible to see Templars and Wardens fighting or at least competing against each other, no side knowing that they are being manipulated by invisible forces to do so.

Of course, the Agency isn't all powerful and all knowing. It has a good grip on many secret groups, some of which have vast resources, and it gets vasts amounts of Intel from those groups too. But, eventually, the Knights can start a war against the Soldiers, in an event they didnt predict or desired. Those things happens. But in those cases, they go from contingency plan A, to B, to C, to D... Until they manage to get back control.

To the outside world, there are hundreds of secret groups bound on the hunt of supernaturals. Those are COMPLETELY independent, even going to the point of fighting each other.

But, on a deeper level, sometimes one of those groups manage to get some Intel that would be impossible to have. Those damn hunters sometimes surprise the monsters. "Damn, those Knights are more prepared than I expected!" says the Vampire. But, since they are all secret societies, this is only seem as a miscalculation of their true capacities by their enemies (the Agency is careful - and paranoid - enough to not "leak" Intel that could arise suspicions). In most cases, the monsters just assume that group A managed a cooperation with some group B without the monsters having realized it (and the Angency take efforts to make it so).

Well, thats how I've built the squeleton of my setting. What do you guys think?
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote