View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #123
TippetsTX

Default Re: IQ rise and talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
(4)Hmm. This is the most illogical expectation in the world to me. I know it was there in old ITL but it was so weird to me. In fact, I thought maybe my old copy of old ITL was missing some pages or something until someone confirmed that raising your IQ automatically entitled you to a new talent or spell. I can't overstate this: Does Not Make Sense To Me. If you drank a potion that raised your IQ, would you expect to suddenly know a new spell or talent? I think not. Raising your IQ should only make you ready to learn something, not automatically fill your head with knowledge. With the XP-buy system, we have our explanation: You learned it in your "off-time" while adventuring and acquiring the XP to buy it. That seems to work just fine for talents and spells you already had access to. This brings us back to #3. There should definitely be guidelines on where the knowledge of a new talent/spells comes from.
Gotta strongly disagree with this. Linking a character's IQ to talents/spells is one of most genius aspects of Steve Jackson's original design. In a rules-lite system like TFT, each stat must cover multiple character attributes and Steve's solution to this challenge was balanced and elegant. To divest talents from IQ risks unbalancing other elements of the system (like XP) which seems to be supported by the debate in several of the threads on this forum.

And to be clear, the original rules never allowed you to suddenly learn a new talents when IQ increased. Talents had to 'studied' ahead of time, planned for by the player in advance of their aquisition.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote