View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #4276
Astromancer

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
I like this. A Fascist UK replacing Germany would be interesting. A couple thoughts.

Instead of annexing Austria and the Sudetenland, I see the UK annexing Ireland to the complaints of other nations.

A fascist UK would have the advantage that when trying to rearm in the 30's, it would not have to worry about violating the Treaty of Versailles. Like Japan, it would have to worry about the Treaty of Washington when trying to create a super-navy, and like Japan I can see the British using different measures to skirt that treaty until declaring it void.

Italy is screwed. Once war breaks out the Red Army, Werhmacht, and French will be pointed at Rome.

It might be harder for the allies to convince the US to get involved. Ties between the UK and the US were important in our WWII, in this setting it might be hard to convince the US to help Communist Germany and Russia.

I see Britain having a smaller army than the Nazis did, but a massive RAF and large fleet of carriers. Strategic bombing will be important, because it will be hard for the British to invade continental Europe, and even harder for the continental powers to invade the UK.

Edit: in case it's not clear, I was talking about Simpson from Astromancer.
Annexing Ireland makes sense. The Celts mainly replace the Jewish people in this setting. Although Jews, the Rom, and the Travelers, are all fleeing the British isles as well.

It isn't something most people think of but the end of WWI left a nasty taste in many American mouths. We disliked the Germans but the French and British both acted like they accused the Germans of acting. Or it seemed that way to most Americans. And both the British and French Empires grew by vast amounts after the war. And both Britain and France told America that asking for payment of War Debts was vulgar. France also announced America was going to pay to rebuild France without consulting America before the announcement. We were sour on Britain, France, and Germany.

Now in Homeline history both Britain and France recovered their good reputation with the American people. In this world it's France and Germany that regain their good names. Britain going fascist disgusts America and terrifies Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

And well they should be scared. A fascist Britain would be deadlier than Nazi Germany for many reasons.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote