View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 AM   #713
Zorcon

Default Re: Member House Rules

House Rule #1: Separate Races/Classes/Thingies decks. This one has been mentioned, but I think I have a slightly different twist on it.

Separate all class/race/thingies with sleeves into separate decks, but also add 4x human/no-class/equivalent cards into each new deck.

Players start the game with one of each thingy available (in addition to the normal 4 door and 4 treasure cards). Note: if there are multiple sets in play that offer the same thingy, players choose only one.

You may loose your thingies as per normal rules. Instead of looting the room, players may draw a new thingy and may immediately play/replace the newly drawn card, or place into hand.

House Rule #2: Themed Side Decks. I have Munchkin I-VIII + Legends I-III + a bunch of boosters/promos shuffled into one set. This diluted the synergy of the themed expansions like Christmas.

Put all of the themed booster packs and expansions into separate sets of door and treasure decks. I also suggest adding any other appropriate cards (such as the original Santa to the Christmas deck). The sets I have made so far are:
  • Pets (based on kittens and puppies boosters)
  • Christmas
  • Easter (based on easter eggs booster)
  • Halloween (based on tricky treats booster)
  • Fairy Tales (based on Princesses, knights, and dragons boosters)
  • Valentines's Day (based on love shark baby booster)
It may seem that there aren't enough cards to make a side deck, but for instance, my Valentine's Day deck, which started as a 15-card booster, has 27 doors and 13 treasures--Enough I think.

An added bonus is now all these theme decks can easily be incorporated into other Munchkin games... Like Munchkin Bites! + Valentine's Day, Munchkin Zombies + Halloween, or how about a Munchkin Cthulhu Christmas?

I suggest sleeving the cards with a slip of colored paper behind to distinguish each themed deck from each other and the main deck.

House Rule #3: Tables! I love to roll on tables (doesn't everybody?)

I have amassed over 200 bookmarks, coins, accessories, and promos (personal swag) over the years--And each one gives an in-game bonus. There is also numerous pawns, tokens, level counters, and dice (shared swag).

It would be very Munchkiny to sit down with all my swag the next time I play and insta-win, but not very fun, or friendly. So I developed a series of %-based tables for players to roll on to determine:
  • The Base Games(s)
  • The Theme Decks(s) (see House Rule #2)
  • The Shared Swag (see above)
  • The Personal Swag (see above)
In addition, there are six Swag sub-tables broken down by type. Here is an example of two of the tables:

d%.......THEMED SIDE DECK TABLE
01-06....Munchkin Blender
07-13....Munchkin Christmas
14-19....Munchkin Easter
20-25....Munchkin Fairy Dust
26-31....Munchkin Fairy Tales
32-38....Munchkin Halloween
39-44....Munchkin Pets
45-50....Munchkin Valentine's Day
51-56....Munchkinomicon
57-81....Choose One from this table
82-94....Choose Two from this table
95-00....Choose Three from this table

d%.......PERSONAL SWAG TABLE
01-33....Roll once on the BOOKMARK TABLE below
34-76....Roll once on the MISCELLANEOUS SWAG TABLE below
77-89....Roll once on the SPECIALTY CARD TABLE below
90-93....Choose One from this table
94-98....Choose Two from this table (may choose a duplicate result)
99-00....Choose Three from this table (may choose a duplicate result)

House Rule #4: Bookmark Proxies My precious...

I use cardstock proxies for bookmarks that use the torn up pieces as part of their mechanic.
Zorcon is offline   Reply With Quote