View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Magical Light and Infravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudmo View Post
For example if some monster has only infravision (Not normal vision) do the Magical Light spells give off heat or only light.
Is it like heat = light intensity.
This is ultimately going to be up to the GM, I'd say. It depends on how "realistic" you want magic to be, basically. In a completely-unrealistic setup, the light created by magic is "pure light" or something like that, totally unrelated to heat, the pure essence of illumination, and gives off no heat. In a moderately-realistic system, the light emitted could be 100% in the visual spectrum, and thus the source itself might not emit any heat, but as soon as it struck any objects, some of the light would be converted into heat, allowing a creature with infravision to spot the increased temperature. And in a fairly-realistic setting, the light source itself probably emits some wavelengths in the infrared spectrum, enough for a creature with infravision to spot it directly.

In a Dungeon Fantasy-esque game, I'd probably go with the middle option. Stupid Infravision Tricks are a genre trope in that sort of game, so giving the characters with infravision some option to spot the light source makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudmo
Another one is if beings with Dark Vision and those with the Dark Vision spell on can actually see light sources, or is the world all equally bright. I ask this because if a party is stealthing through a dungeon with continual light on and the monster has dark vision, would it see the light change ? It has dark vision and therefor I would guess that in it's eyes light and dark are equal.
I would rule otherwise - Dark Vision includes no notes about such problems, and the general guidelines with GURPS advantages is that they probably shouldn't seriously disadvantage you if they don't say they do. Also note that by default, Dark Vision is strictly monochrome, so the monster should be able to spot the fact that suddenly it's seeing in color.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote