View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #125
kmunoz

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I agree with this, but it really isn't in context with what that conversation was actually about. That the DFRPG might be unlikely to have a lot of print support isn't, to me, a sensible reason to tell people that liked it not to get it. It doesn't need a seperate print line of supplements to be a good game.
It might be a "kids these days..." sort of thing, as it is with computer games. Back when I was a kid (in the 80s), when you bought a computer game, that was it - that was the game. Bugs? Deal with it. Limited playability? Deal with it.

Now, in the 21st century, if a computer game's developer "stops supporting" that game shortly after release, it's considered a failure and people make an effort to dissuade others from buying it. Even if the game is fine; even if it doesn't really need more content.

The latter expectation is not always realistic from an economic standpoint (and leads to larger publishers getting larger, and smaller ones getting smaller), but it's a very consumer-centric perspective. We didn't have that perspective growing up.

Consumers find it perfectly reasonable in the modern era to expect that a recently released complex RPG will have print support going forward, at least for a time. Given that this is the case now, and given that the cat isn't going anywhere close to back in the bag any time soon, I can see how it might be viewed as a lie by omission not to mention a game's support level. Your mileage may vary, of course, but this is the world we live in now.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote