Thread: Defining IQ
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Defining IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
Real-world IQ tests are probably not accurate enough to give you more than a rough estimate of that for individuals (for larger groups, they might work better).
Having known several geniuses.... it's not even a close correlation at all.

Quote:
So someone with an IQ score of 130 could easily have GURPS IQ of 11 or 13 rather than 12, with a realistic chance that they could be 10 or 14 and some possibility they could be outside that range.
Or 10. Or 8.

It all depends on how much weight you want to give to their social and perceptive failings as Disads versus general "IQ Inability". I prefer* to lower IQ...

* Actually I'd prefer to decouple social skills from IQ, but that's neither elegant nor simple.

Quote:
Willpower seems to be correlated with IQ, but probably not that strongly.
Willpower has almost no basis in Intelligence Quotient. Some of the highest scoring geniuses I've known had little capacity to resist their sweet-tooths, or avoid legal, non-physical, addictions (Magic the Gathering anyone?).

Quote:
Visual and spacial awareness and short reaction times also seem to correlate with IQ (as do cardiovascular fitness, height, income, grip strength and a bunch of other stuff).
Again, anecdotal here, but most of the high Intelligence Quotient were a bit doughy and clumcsy, and that clumsiness was bumping into things, slow-reaction times, and a general inability to pay attention to the world around them. So... low Perception scores.

Quote:
Social abilities are only weakly linked with IQ in the real world. However, many GURPS social skills are not based on IQ and advantages are a major part of the social interaction rules, so I think this is also acceptable.
"Many"? Eh... I disagree with that assertion. Close to 1 in 4 Social skills aren't (pure) IQ is not what I'd call "many". And that's only if you are decoupling Will and Per from IQ. If you don't, then it drops to 1 in 10 social skills aren't IQ based...

Quote:
There probably are some things that boost or lower your IQ score that GURPS classes as advantages and disadvantages rather than the attribute. Things like Single Minded and Mathematical Ability would probably give you a higher score than your actual general intelligence, for example.
There are a lot of things that boost Intelligence Quotient, notably Talents.

Quote:
Overall, I think the problems with this approach are small and the results will be good enough for what you are likely to want (i.e. having a rough grasp of what a given score in the game would be like in real life).
I think the results are terrible and the deviations quite large.

I score around 145 on IQ tests... If I were to "stat myself" I'd only give me an IQ of 12 (and I'd lower Will by 2 as a disad). However that 12 is only to make the character sheet simple... I'd be more 'honest' with a 10 and spreading those points around in Talents and Advantages (and individually buying up Per).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote