Thread: Grav Pong
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 12:29 AM   #4
Rupert

Default Re: Grav Pong

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
I was looking for that text and forgot it was in UT! I did find the detailed free fall article in Pyramid, though. I hadn't thought about the gravitron gun. I was really wondering how fast the plates can shift. If you "fall" down a long corridor, say 15-20 yards, your enemy could then turn around and make you fall the other direction. Several of those would kill you pretty dead, unless you are in heavy armor. Also, it is assumed the max is 2g or 6g?
UT reckons the maximum is normally 1G. Traveller is all over the place, from what I recall. TNE was something like TL-9G. In my Traveller game I use GURPS' TLs, and map Traveller ones onto them:

TTL GTL
9 9
10 9
11 9
12 10
13 10
14 11
15 11

GTL12 is for ancients and suchlike. For grav plates I assume a maximum of 2G at TL9, +2G per TL above that. That's positive and negative, and if there's a contragrav system as well, that can bring the 'base gravity' down to zero. Thus if you're in a nice Imperial TL11 ship when Virus decides you need to go, you get slammed into the ceiling at -6G, then the floor at +6G, then the ceiling, and then (I assume minimal sideways adjustment - just enough to dampen minor thruster acceleration, etc.) the grav compensation goes off, as do the grav plates, and the main drive comes on at 6Gs, and down the hallway you go...

My players don't take the grav-chutes, or even the lifts. Ever. They also avoid long corridors in ships and stations that are even remotely suspect. Funny, that.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote