View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
kmunoz

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy: Adventures and Dungeons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
The first part is not entirely true, but the second part is. The adventure template looks at any given location in two ways. One is generic (a bar, a remote outpost in space); the other is specific (Throg's Orcish Bar and Grill, Space Patrol Forward Base #392).
Okay, reading through the template again I can see this distinction more clearly. Location vs. Pre-Gen Location + Pre-Gen Maps.

It is definitely the case that the adventure template gives priority to plot - as in, for example, "This chapter [Events] covers the plot, and is the meat of the book." The adventure template was designed, I would expect, on assumptions that pre-date the existence of the Dungeon Fantasy series.

One other way of looking at it (very overgeneralized) is that, given the "generic location" idea, there is an assumption that a GM is going to a published GURPS adventure to find a good plotline to follow, to be filled out using his or her existing locations. I would suspect that a Dungeon Fantasy GM, however, is more likely to have a plot ready to hand (even if it's nothing more than "yay! let's go kill things!") and needs a fleshed out set of locations in which to place it.

Last edited by kmunoz; 09-12-2010 at 03:39 PM.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote