View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #19
Jeminai

Default Re: Breaking down High Pain Threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
High Pain Threshold doesn't have components. It only does one thing.
Originally Posted by Kromm

Game Geekery: Viewing High Pain Threshold [10] this way:
Ignores Shock 4 [4], where Ignores Shock 1-4 [1/level] is a leveled perk that cancels the -1 to -4 to DX a second after you're wounded.
Resistant to Physical Effects of Pain (+3) [3], "physical effects of pain" being an Occasional threat and the +3 aiding HT rolls to resist knockdown and such.

Resistant to Psychological Effects of Pain (+3) [3], "psychological effects of pain" being an Occasional threat and the +3 aiding Will rolls to resist torture and such.

I'd say [Kromm speaking] that you can definitely learn the second one. I suspect that SERE really can teach the third one. I doubt that the two have much to do with one another – I would not have +3 to Will rolls to resist torture that promised to restore that pain I suffered! I also suspect that the first one is largely inborn and unlearnable, as it addresses a reflex and not something that you have time to "tough out" or "will away."