View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Pyramid #3/107: Monster Hunters III

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
GURPS Monster Hunters 1: Champions powered up wildcard skills, effectively turning them into low-key super abilities. Now Christopher Rice takes things a step further, proving that hunters are Born to be Wild with over 20 new wildcard skills and new rules (compatible with GURPS Power-Ups 7: Wildcard Skills) that make them even more potent and versatile.
I wrote some designer's notes for this here.

Quote:
Fighting flesh-and-blood monsters is relatively straightforward, but dealing with things you can't touch or see can be An Irregular Sort of Terror. J. Edward Tremlett adds three new types of ghosts to those presented in GURPS Monster Hunters 3: The Enemy, along with a frightening 17 new spiritual abilities inspired by everything from modern fiction to ancient stories.
This was pretty neat, but I had a hand helping the author so I'd already seen it. Still. Very useful. A self-haunted object may appear in an upcoming session of one of the Ceteri games . . . ;-)

Quote:
Inexplicable swirls of light spark debates about UFOs. An old newspaper clipping bemoans how a gifted composer went insane after losing his love. A woman devours an entire store aisle of junk food before eating a fellow shopper. After showing up miles away from where he just was, a hiker claims to know exactly what the future holds for him. In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver explains how The Dwyrm is at the center of all of this.
This was kind of...disturbing. Yeah. Disturbing. O.o

Quote:
Stories of champions defeating horrors are really about empowerment -- inspiring us to overcome the demons we face in our own life -- which is why a major sub-genre is aimed at kids and young adults. Liam Duncan offers new lenses, traits, and rules for Young Hunters, including guidelines for using GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School to run a school-focused campaign.
I had a hand in getting Liam to submit this - so I'm pretty happy seeing it in print. :-)

If you ever wanted to use MH to run a game with the hunters still in high school, this is your go-to resource.

Quote:
And we defeated the cultists to rescue this month's Random Thought Table, which proves that "more is less" when it comes to keeping things mysterious and challenging.[/LIST]
I learned this the hard way, but after reading this there is something nibbling at my brainpan and I can't quite express it. There is something more that needs to be said or a way to expand this in a more game-mechanical way using the Deduction rules - I'm just not sure how yet.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote