View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #26
gibberingmouther

Default Re: Dragon Ball Inspired "Ki" Hero

thanks Kelly and Ottriman! i was talking with my dad and he had a good suggestion, which is comparing ki blasts with various artillery and whatever military explosives are called. the thing is, i know virtually nothing about firearms or military artillery (my dad does, as he was in the navy, but he doesn't know GURPS).

for ki blasts, i have: ray, medium beam, large beam, scaling sphere, and custom (like the destructo disk or whatever else you can think of). the ray is like Piccolo's signature attack except it is the least powerful in terms of dice and ki cost. but it still could be deadly as it could hit someone's vitals, and basically could burn a hole right through someone regardless (much as Piccolo's attack did to Goku and Raditz). and i'll reiterate if you didn't read the whole thread, a ki blast is basically an explosion controlled and directed telekinetically by someone's ki (so a ray is much like a bullet, since it is projected by the explosion). a medium beam could be shot out of one hand and might be strong enough to take out a drone or something along those lines. a large beam might be like the kamehameha, and at high levels of point buy, could be used to take out tank or aircraft. the scaling sphere is just something that explodes like a fireball would and at high levels might be big enough to take out a building. that is the range of power for ki blasts, which might not be available at lower point buys. at first ki is very subtle, allowing you to modulate your abilities, but then after you invest enough points you're basically like a superhero.

so the point of this post is, i want to convert the idea of those ki blasts to GURPS numbers, and i was thinking military weapons could be used to get a sense for the numbers, but as i said i know very little about that subject. anyone want to try and help?

edit: should the ray attack be piercing or impaling? this is the kind of thing i'm unsure of. the sphere is crushing burning or otherwise ... not sure about the remaining ki blast shapes

edit2: okay, i have GURPS 4th edition basic set ... looking at the weapons in there. it's nice they have burn-based beam weapons statted. those would go along with super-science as well as ki-based blasting

Last edited by gibberingmouther; 12-23-2017 at 09:37 PM.
gibberingmouther is offline   Reply With Quote