View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #39
Proteus

Default Re: Printing cardboard heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I really wish that I could get cardboard heroes in GURPS scale.

The figure images are too small to truly represent the tactics on a combat map.

For example, a human barbarian is printed on a cardboard piece that is 1.5" in height. GURPS scale would require at least a 2" tall piece.
One of my ongoing (if minor) gripes with GURPS is that figure scale is not equal to ground scale. I know this isn't a particular concern for miniature war-gamers, who are well used to it, but I regularly find it distracting.

I picked up a remaindered 16mm vinyl hex grid, which more or less solves the ground scale problem when using regular 30mm figures, though it can feel a bit cramped.

54mm miniatures are too expensive and limited in variety, but I've considered just blowing up Cardboard Heroes or similar figures and going with it on the standard 1" hexgrid.

I've occasionally amused my spouse by contemplating buying/making a 2" hexgrid and running games using her old Star Wars action figures....

P.S. Yes, I know one reason for the different scales is to allow two figures to fit into a single hex for close combat. I'd give that up in a heartbeat (and move close combatants off the field, with a marker representing the two figures) for a consistent scale. But I realize my opinion is in the minority, so I make do.