View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #19
mhd

Default Re: Making Techniques Worthwhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'd think that realistically once you improve enough techniques you have literally increased your ability with the base Skill. Certainly enough for gaming purposes.
Or the opposite way - if you don't have any techniques, you're not "skill-ful". So a certain skill treshold X can only be crossed if you've got Y points in techniques. Picking X and Y can change the campaign style quite a bit. Do you have to diversify if you basically invented your own style (X = 20), or is it something everyone does after becoming moderately proficient (X = 12)?

What I don't like about a lot of the modifications is that they single out combat skills a bit, but who wants to make Techniques for all the skills? Although, if you constrain it to physical skills, you might get back to the 3E rules that mental skills are easier to increase... Or just treat most specialities as Techniques, so your Einstein-wannabe has Physics-12 and Astronomy +2, Quantum Physics+0 (raised from its lower default).

Another possibility I looked at was the way HERO did it: You've got your Skill Maxima, after which it's either impossible or just more expensive to raise your skills (HERO doubled costs).
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote