View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #293
Bayarea

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi all,

Normally, a fight against a bunch of mooks results in the PC's getting a wound or two and the mooks dying. (Or some die and the rest run away.)

In TFT, a PC swings and hits, the enemy swings and hits, the PC swings and hits and the combat is over. Nice and quick.

In GURPS, the PC swings and hits, but enemy parries. Enemy swings and hits, and PC parries. PC swings and hits and Enemy parries. Enemy misses. PC swings and hits and enemy misses his parry! Enemy swings and hits and PC parries. PC swings and hits and enemy parries. Enemy swings and hits, but PC parries. PC hits, enemy misses parry and combat is over.

Exactly the same result, but the GURPS fight takes 3 times longer than TFT to play out.

After that, we went back to TFT and stayed there.

---

I game mastered a pbem game in Dave Seagraves Thail campaign, and - foolishly - I used his rules, rather than my own. He had an auto parry rule, and for the characters with a high DX, well, they were not hit much. Fighting NPC's with high DX was slow and frustrating.

I STRONGLY recommend against any sort of parrying as a free action in TFT. If you want complex and realistic cut and thrust, then play GURPS.

If you want to be harder to hit, get a Blur ring, or add some talents where anyone attacking you thru your front hexes gets a -3 adj DX to hit you. I have made such talents and they work. I really like the roll to hit, then roll for damage mechanic in TFT.

If you just like the idea of cut and thrust, clashes of swords, then fine. But don't make parrying a free action, which comes into play on EVERY attack.

Warm regards, Rick.
Hi Rick,

I have used this talent in game it requires 8 IQ sword, Fencing and adv Fencing also you can only defend against one attack so it shouldn't slow down the normal melee. It will make duels against high level character last a little longer, our GM limited its availability so not everyone has it just the best of the best.

Longer training time and limited teachers might make a quest of just getting this talent. It is comparable to UC 1-5 which requires 11 IQ points vs 8 and it isn't quite as good.

I thought it was a nice compromise so Cyrano could go duel 100 men, or Scarmouche and Grey Mouser could become realistic characters.
Bayarea is offline   Reply With Quote