View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #132
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: The Problem With Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I put the skills I want on the sheet. Adding a Wildcard for 4 more points cuts 4 points out of something else.
It all depends what wildcard skill one uses.
Megadungeon Knowledge! and Connoisseur! aren't in the same ball part compared to an Ultimate Talent Wildcard like Sage!

Quote:
The reason I don't like Wildcards is they tend to do strange things with a few skills... like "and any use of Acrobatics, Climbing, Jumping, or Stealth in combat" instead of just giving Swashbuckler! Acrobatics, Climbing, Jumping, and Stealth in general in the Wildcard.
That is because Swashbuckler! is a Template Wildcard skill. Compare to Pirate! which is an Ultimate Template Wildcard skill.

Quote:
This leads to the Character having those skills separately (or in another Wildcard) and thus having differing levels of them for different tasks leading to confusion during play.
Template Wildcard skills and their ultimate brethren (like Sage!) can cover a lot.

Quote:
Also Widlcards like Detective! that have "etc" at the end. That makes me twitch so hard.

/rant on Wildcards
Detective! is effectively an Ultimate Template Wildcard skill and yes it is pretty ridiculous. In fact, the only character from fiction who IMHO could serve as an example would be some of the adaptive (ie not canon) versions of Sherlock Holmes.

Now examples of Science! are all over the place. It seams that nearly every fictional scientist has this Wildcard skill be it Professor Roy Hinkley from Gilligan's Island at the low end to Reed Richards on the high end. Most of them have Inventor! as well.

I should mention that Magic! compared to Ritual Magic is likely the best priced wildcard skill there is. At two learned colleges it is the same cost (three VH skills, so you are paying the 3x VH cost either way) and anything above that is just gravy.

Last edited by maximara; 07-12-2018 at 06:48 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote