View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Skarg

Default Re: Entering A Hex With A Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Would it be overreaction to strike it completely? I could turn it into a DX+4 or so roll, so you USUALLY don't fall down. Or I could just nuke it, and let the players dance freely among the bodies.
Fallen bodies (and HTH piles) becoming terrain obstacles is one of the genius elements of Melee, in my opinion.

It's logical cause & effect, darkly charming, and part of what makes the map and what happens significant in a natural way.

Having said that, I think the TFT rule for how they work is off. 3/DX or fall down seems too severe for mid-to-low DX people just trying to get past a body. IIRC it's also not entirely clear if you can spend extra MA to cross/jump a body hex without rolling to not fall.

I suggest that you change it so you have a choice to either run through body hexes risking a 3/DX roll per hex for no MA penalty, OR spend an extra 1 or 2 MA to enter the hex but not need to roll. I would also keep a 3/DX roll if you are forced to retreat into (or out of?) a dead body hex.

However I think it's essential that there be a clear broken ground DX penalty for when standing on dead bodies, and would suggest at least -2 for one body (the usual broken ground penalty, which I think is currently implied but not explicit) and another -1 for every additional dead body in the hex. It's both realistic and fun to have big body piles become a major obstacle as they pile high.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote