View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #15
acrosome

Default Re: Stocking your Life Pod

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
ISo this is a "Pray we land on an earth habitable planet life-pod" then Fred?
That life-pods are useful is a setting conceit, sort of "science-fantasy". In a very rigorous setting, yes, you are always better off staying with your spaceship and trying to repair it. Even if you have some sort of problem with the reactor the solution is not to leave your highly capable life support system, it is to eject the core and trigger the distress beacon.

But given that it's a conceit of the setting:

I suspect that the designers' assumption would be that in most situations in which a life-pod gets used that the crew would already be in pressure suits of some sort. So that is worn already, and probably doesn't count towards the weight allotment. Likewise, footgear would likely be assumed already, unless the setting has "ship slippers" as standard or something.

Your lists look pretty good.

Stocking Torpine is a neat idea.

Having seen a lot of survival equipment, I suspect that a solar recharger is more likely than a E cell.

A shelter of some sort is pretty key. In any halfway realistic setting one might claim that they are better off staying/living at the pod, but forcing use of the pod seems like a GM's mechanism to encourage exploration. So, encourage exploration. Give them a tent. Or at least a tarp.

Agree, a compass is pretty key. There is one in every survival kit I've ever seen. As is cord of some type.

Agree a raft is unlikely. If they land in an ocean the pod should float, and in that situation one would not want to leave the pod, anyway. A raft is of no real benefit. However, including fishing tackle and some sort of purification/desalinization rig might be handy. But I guess the vapor canteens cover water, huh? And ne would never be sure of what the fishing would be like on alien worlds. Here on Earth, castaways with access to food and water have drifted around for over a year and survived. Usually they collect rainwater, granted. And the ones with the longest records generally ate their fellow castaways. But still...

For something just "stocked to a legal standard" don't for get to make everything of cheap quality. :) And a simple, cheap backpack is much more likely than an LBV or such.

Some sort of cold-weather parka or the UT equivalent seems like a pretty obvious need for people who might get stranded on an unknown world.

I could argue that a stranded group is expected to stay together, so they wouldn't need the four radios. I'd make it two radios, assumed to be one for the exploring pair and one for the basecamp pair. You want to be in at least pairs, not alone, and the radio in the pod provides the needed redundancy. Likewise, the "legal standard" might be one first aid kit instead of three (plus the crash kit, that is).

Last edited by acrosome; 07-12-2018 at 12:19 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote