View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #19
zot

Default Re: A different take on priests

Hi Jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Zot, can you outline for us, specifically:
  • Which specific aspect(s) of your work you think we might be able to help you with?
  • Why you feel the given aspect(s) needs help?
  • How, and in What form, you would prefer to receive our help?
  • Where would you like to end-up with this as a stated goal?
I think that would allow some of us to better gauge if we feel we might be able to offer any meaningful and accurate service to you; or not.

Thanks,

JK
Reading this makes me think it's probably better to start with discussion and then move on to play testing later.

One metric I'm using is these rough Priest - Wizard equivalences:

Priest 1: IQ 12 Wizard (I know Priest is IQ 9 but this is how I think of it)
Theologian: IQ 14 Wizard
Theologian 2: IQ 16 Wizard
Theologian 3: IQ 18 Wizard
Theologian 4: IQ 20 Wizard

I'm figuring the daily power output of a wizard might be roughly 24-40 ST (recover 8 during sleep and 16-32 during 4-8 potential rest hours per day).

While creating the ceremonies, I've been estimating maybe 4 ST per ceremony for a level 1 priest and more for higher levels and I'm guessing that priests will generally miss at least 1 appointed time per day, maybe 2. If they generally get to use all 5, then the average power output (based on wizard power output) should probably be 4-8 ST per ceremony. If they normally get to do 3 ceremonies per day, the expected power output should probably be 7-13 ST per ceremony.

I'm guessing priests will be able to average 3.5 ceremonies per day in a labyrinth, so maybe a rough power output of 10 ST per ceremony would be fair. I think. Maybe.

A buff of +1 ST/DX/IQ would be like 3 Aid spells lasting for 6 turns (I'm guessing the average combat lasts less than 6 turns but I could be wrong -- my last play test of Dark City's Orcs starter adventure bore that out though). So a +5 buff would be like 15 ST in Aid spells.

Of course wizards are occupied by their spell casting during combat and priests are not occupied by their ceremonies during combat. I think the fact that wizards are much more versatile balances this out, though: priests have to perform their ceremonies well in advance, with much less knowledge because a wizard can choose not to continue aiding another character and use their spells for something else.

Here are some things I'm wondering about:
  • Are my power output guesses for wizards reasonable?

• Is my guess of 3.5 ceremonies per day reasonable or will priests generally get 5?

• Is 5 the right number of appointed times per day?

• Is 3 IQ too cheap for access to talismans and ceremonies?

Do priests need extra limitations besides just the talent costs?

Mngineers are required to have Mechanician, so it costs 5 IQ for them. Should 2 more IQ in talents be standard for every religion? This feels like it might be a good requirement, so that priests of a particular religion would share some distinguishing talent for their religion.

• Is the Village Wise One's talisman power, "Fierce Aura" over powered?

It only lasts for one turn and to maintain it, the priest must use the power again, devoting their actions to that.

It's a riff off of the Sanctuary cleric spell but the saving throw increases with Priest level. It's nice to have some difference in effect based on priest level. This is the only one I could think of but is 5 dice vs IQ excessive for essentially a 20 IQ wizard power that costs 1 or 2 ST?

Would it be better just to make Avert Beast a regular avert and allow the priest to choose an adjacent subject for it (i.e. the attacker must move away from the guy next to you)?

• Do the group sizes feel right?

I've messed with them a lot. Right now they go from 3 (Priest) to 7 (Theologian 4). Removing thrown spells from 7 people is a power output of 14 ST.

At one point I had them go from 4-34. I like the idea of a high priest affecting a large group, like all the men from a tiny village, it's very cinematic but is it over powered?

These are the issues that stand out to me right now. I'm sure there are more. :)

Last edited by zot; 06-04-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: arithmetic
zot is offline   Reply With Quote