View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #25
Stormcrow

Default Re: Do you have any special rules/restrictions to regulate character advancement paci

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I've heard of people who do things that way, but it's very unlikely that I would allow it. I usually create a new setting for each new campaign, and it's very unlikely that a character created to fit setting A would have any chance of fitting setting B; and as a rule my settings are closed universes and people aren't going to wander in from other universes.
It comes back to what you consider a "campaign" to be. For you, it's something like "everything that happens to the player characters in a particular game setting." Others define it as something like "a set of adventures by a group of characters with specific goals and definite endpoints." This is closer to its traditional meaning in warfare and strategy.

For instance, I was thinking of running a "troll wars" campaign out of the GURPS Vikings book. The point of the campaign is that the characters' isolated village is being threatened by trolls coming down from the mountains, and they have to discover the cause and put a stop to it. That's a campaign.

Now suppose they've done that. A year or two goes by. Time Use Forms are filled out. Players want to play in the Viking world again. The king in the south calls for men to go a-viking. The same player characters can now be used in a totally new campaign: sail to Britain and start plundering. Assuming the characters don't winter in Britain or try to form a settlement, the campaign ends when viking season is over and they go home.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote