Thread: Modifying Reach
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
Rasputin

Default Re: Modifying Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Yup, that makes sense. I'm not even sure how those two rules should stack; honestly the rules from Low-Tech Companion 2 are meant for "non-realistic pixie" characters, not for realistic smaller SM characters. They're basically two different ways of doing the same thing (reducing Reach for smaller SM characters), but the rules from LTC2 are far more generous.
Well, to my mind, they would stack, since Dwarfism is meant to mimic real-world dwarfs, who have limbs proportionately shorter than their trunks. A ten-year-old human without Dwarfism will also be SM -1, but will be better able to handle a sword scaled to her size simply because the child's limbs will have normal proportions. (The picture of Wee-Man on Wikipedia hides the problem a bit, but notice that if his hand were down, it would reach the top of his pocket. My hands reach halfway down my thigh. I compared the reach of the fingers to a picture of my daughter, then a month shy of 9, holding up a Christmas present, and her fingers do go a bit nearer to her neck.) You could go either way, I suppose, but you do get -15 points for Dwarfism, and only -5 of that is from reduced Move. I might just manually hack the weapon (a great axe) to get it to show up right.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote