View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Moneval

Default Help With Designing a Magic as Powers System

Hi Everyone. I'm planning on running a campaign soon using a magic-as-powers system to depict a type of magic in a setting I've been working on for years. Without getting too into the weeds, this type of magic requires a wielder to be study and practice both to become attuned to the energies of creation, and to hone their skills in manipulating those energies. Critically though, anyone with sufficient will and dedication can learn these abilities, instead of them being inherent to an individual.

I've been pouring over Psionic Powers and Sorcery, including the excellent articles in Pyramid 3/105, Super Sorcery and Ki Sorcery, and I think my answer lies somewhere in between the two. I could, however, still use some guidance.

I like the skill checks and techniques featured in Psionic Powers, and if I use Sorcery as a framework (which seems like it'll be the way I go), I'll probably add these features.
From Sorcery, I like Sorcerous Empowerment as a measure (for my purposes) of how "attuned" to Creation one has become, while sorcery talent can represent inherent sensitivity. Super Sorcery gives great rules for alternative rituals and extra effort, and Ki Sorcery introduces at least one "passive" sorcery effect.

What I'd like to be able to add to all of this is a mechanism for separate "disciplines" or "schools" within the system which feel like martial arts or magical styles. A way to set up a rock-paper-scissors dynamic between these styles would be a plus.
I'm also curious what the best way to add "passive" abilities to such a system would be. While Ki sorcery sets up a good framework for a passive "Detect" effect, I'm curious if Danger Sense, or Precognition could be similarly added as sorcery effects, or if it would be best to buy them as separate advantages with a relevant power modifier.

In general I guess I'm hoping to get a feel for people's experience with magic-as-powers, especially Psionics or Sorcery. How does it scale? What works well for a 200-point starting power level? How can I achieve a suitable blend of mystic tradition and studied discipline?

So far I've only run Basic Magic and Path/Book, so I'm still new to magic as powers and appreciate any insight you can give me.

Thanks in advance!
Moneval is offline   Reply With Quote