View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
Black Leviathan

Default Re: The rights and consequences to bear arms in RPGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Likewise, a resident of a city may be permitted to go armed, whereas a stranger may not
I actually like this idea a lot. I think next time I run a Fantasy or foggy-historical game I'll have a law that citizens that live within city walls be able to get an "Armsman's badge" for a nominal expense. It has to be worn on the breast when you're carrying a weapon to show the guard that you're approved. It allows wealthy merchants and their men to carry smallswords or maybe smaller crossbows, and non-plate armor, whatever the limit of the law is. Part of being issued the badge is an oath to defend the Count (Or whomever runs the show) and the city.

This sort of limits weapons to the wealthy citizens that will complain the most about being unarmed and who are less likely to engage in criminal acts. It puts strangers and ne'er-do-wells at a disadvantage against tax payers. And it creates a small obligation to the most wealthy and independent citizens in the realm. If it means they stab a few peasants in bar fights or occasionally kill someone they thought was a robber, it seems like a small price.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote