View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #37
Infornific

Default Re: Typical ST for a war bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post

Its obvious that extremely powerful longbows were used in numbers for long periods of time, and the numbers for st dont jive with reality. To get a massively powerful warbow, like those used on the Mary Rose, you have to have a lot of conans. Which is ludricrous.

The problem is not that st 13+ is extremely rare. Its that the rules for st are pretty whacked. The table needs to be adjusted to make st 13+ not ludricous to possess.

I think theres a lot of ways to do this. But it has to be fixed, because currently its impossible to build a longbow archer who wouldnt rip the head off an Nfl lineman. Because i have met some people who shoot at the lower level of warbow territory, and while they are strong and fairly fit, they arnt linemen size. Maybe wide reciever, qbs or a small safety. Maybe a small linebacker.

There has to be more deviation between the "average" than 5 levels of strength.

I am, again, partial to doubling hp, doubling drs, keeping the damage chart the same, and giving all guns a base armor divisor of 2. Greater granularity.

Otherwise your going to constant bump heads with the unrealistic melee and lifting for st.
One quick and dirty, rules as written solution to the high melee damage problem would be to require players to alternate between buying full ST and Lifting ST plus HP only. So a ST 14 character in this system would have ST 12, +2 Lifting ST and +2 HP. No normal human would break Striking ST 15.

Aside from that, longbow archers are the poster children for specialized ST. They are exceptional at one very specific task - pulling a bow. It just feels more logical to give them a good but relatively modest base ST and traits that boost ST for drawing bows only. If you want a real world analogy, NFL linemen can bench press a lot of weight but they are nowhere near the lifting records for their weight class. That doesn't mean the record holder for bench press has a higher ST in GURPS terms than an NFL offensive lineman, it means he has traits that boost his ST for a highly specialized task. Just like the boxer who throws the hardest punch in the world doesn't have the highest ST.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote