View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
trooper6

Default Re: Allowing Technique Mastery with Dual-Weapon Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I'm currently debating with a player in my campaign whether to allow the Technique Mastery perk (Martial Arts p. 52) to apply to the Dual-Weapon Attack technique. Dual-Weapon Attack, it seems to me, applies to a lot of attack rolls, and I'm worried that it would be unbalanced - it feels like giving +4 to skill for 5 points. What do people think? Should this be forbidden? Or do the drawbacks of Dual-Weapon Attack (no shields, no Rapid Strikes, no two-handed weapons) compensate for the bonus?
The DWA doesn't apply to resisting feints, disarms, etc. Using DWA means no shields, no rapid strikes, no two-handed weapons. If your opponent has a pole weapon, they can Dual Weapon Defense and negate both attacks with one defense. the +4 in Technique Mastery for DWA also does not apply to defense. In order to get it, you'd also have to spend a General Combat Perk to get TM...and I've found General Combat Perks to be very valuable...and this is in an Arena game where most players aren't even thinking about putting points in non-combat skills. In a full campaign with fully fleshed out characters, the general non-combat perks would be even more hard to comeby.

So it doesn't bother me. And this is coming from a person who was one-shotted by the TM: Low-Fighting, TM: DWA, Feintmaster uber powergaming killing machine. Now I know the fighter is built like that, I'm going to just have to adjust my tactics.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote