View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #20
bert

Default Re: Which 3 RPGs for Library Collection?

I cannot limit myself to 3 games. So....

- D&D 5th due to popularity. I do not agree with some of the design choices, but given the premises, the implementation seem solid enough. Pathfinder would of course be almost equally popular but much less accessible.

- Call of Cthulhu 7th edition. A fantastic game, not as detailed or technically correct as GURPS, but the blend of setting and rules is very good. And, from the library point of view: the game has its roots in literature. Despite the length of the core books (~700 pages!) it is quite approachable.

- Star Wars RPG (the original design by Greg Costikyan). Like CoC, another perfect blend of settings and rules. This would be the popular culture game. Also like CoC, it is very approachable. Now in print again for a limited edition. Have no experience with the FFG Star Wars.

- Shadowrun. Notable for having its own well-developed cross-genre setting.

- GURPS 4th edition. But this is less of a game and more of a system, or framework [for creating the game you want]. Maybe that is a good reason for inclusion? That it is my favourite system may be a bad reason to include it, but what the heck. GURPS supplements tend to be extremely well researched and well grounded in literature. The numerous (admittedly mostly 3rd edition) licensed settings show the multi-genre capability. Hmmm.... I'm preaching to the choir here. I think GURPS is hard to pick up as a new player, though.

- I would like to include a version of Traveller but I am honestly quite sceptical of the existing edition (sadly).
bert is offline   Reply With Quote