View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
Plane

Default Re: Diffuse body of swarm with scatter enhancement, and AOE attacks (Mainly Explosion

regarding fragmentation, B415:

The fragments attack everyone else in the area at skill 15.
Only three modifiers apply:
the range modifier
for the distance from the center of the blast to the target,
the modifier for the target’s posture (prone, etc.),
and the target’s Size Modifier.
It is possible for several fragments to hit!
For every three points by which the attack roll succeeds,
one additional fragment strikes the target.
It seems like SM influences how many hit you already, so I'm not sure if how many hexes you occupy does too.

I can see the argument that turtling up would give you a smaller profile and maybe have less fragments hit you than being spread-eagled though. That's somewhat covered by posture, although it doesn't seem to distinguish between someone who is spread out lying down (occupying 2 hexes lying) and someone who is turtled up lying down (can you even occupy 1 hex lying down?)

regarding explosions, Kromm in 2012:

Large targets already suffer from taking explosion damage based on the shortest path from blast to target.
Consider a blast at the edge of an imaginary disc 5 yards in radius:
A man standing at the center of that disc is 5 yards distant from the blast, and divides damage by 15.
An actual disc-shaped object with its center of mass where that man was standing takes full damage, and might even suffer a contact explosion for maximum damage.
Morever, targeting the disc with the explosive is at +5 or +6 for size, depending on form factor, which makes a contact blast far more likely
So it sounds like it would just be applied one time with damage calculated in respect to whichever hex they're occupying is nearest to the explosion, while targeting that part is much easier.

I just don't know if it works like this for a swarm, because swarms might function differently, since they take a % of damage based on how many hexes of the swarm is in the AE, whereas normal creatures take 100% of the damage if any part of them is in the AE.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote