View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Chris Goodwin

Default Re: Starting to Play Car Wars

There's a thread here I started called "Targeting Modifiers" but which is really about a play aid I came up with. Forum user @Hawke made their own version of it, which can be had from here. Its purpose is to give a handy reference to each player so that they can see at a glance how fast they're going, how fast everyone else is going, keep track of their own handling status, and the crash table modifiers for the speed they're going. Basically, almost all of the information you'll need in order to move your car, at a glance, placed neatly on one small card.

(My version of it could have been bound; Hawke's version allows for a spiral binding. My version maybe suffered a little bit for not having been, but we kept them stacked up in order, and it worked just fine as we had it.)

Instructions for use for Hawke's file: print out in 4-up mode (four logical "pages" to a sheet) on letter size cardstock. Cut it up, arrange it in order (low speed to high) and get it spiral bound. The final page of the stack will be a little bit larger; you'll use a paper clip on this to mark your vehicle's current handling status, and the numbers at the bottoms of the other cards will show you what actually happens to your vehicle at that speed and handling. (Green means you're good; a number means you have to roll.)

If there's demand for mine, I'll dig the file out and make it available somewhere as well. It's very similar but not identical to Hawke's. (Photo of mine here with paper clip usage.)

Instructions for use in play: You'll have a referee at the table keeping track of the current phase. I used a six-sided die to track it, turning up the appropriate face to mark which one. I would say something like "It is phase one. Everyone make your movement for phase one." Everyone moves, maneuvering if they wish to, and keeping track of their handling status on their own. "Does anyone need to roll on the crash table?" Resolve all of that, then "Does anyone wish to shoot?" Resolve all of that. Then at the end of the phase: "Has everyone moved their movement and done all of the combat they wish to?" Resolve all of that if necessary, then. "Next phase. It is now phase two. Everyone make your movement," etc.

Each player is responsible for tracking their own speed, announcing acceleration and deceleration as applicable, performing their own movement, and tracking their own handling status.

As a veteran old school Car Wars player, with one other veteran and several new players at the table, I can tell you this: it sped up our game play ridiculously. I would swear that at least a quarter of our time-wasting table talk back in the day was taken up by "How fast is so-and-so going again?" This eliminates that. It was a little bit fiddly, but as I put it in the other thread, any fiddliness it added completely paid for itself in speeding up the game, reducing time wasting activities such as table lookups and reminding one another of how fast we're all going again.

I recommend it for everyone.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!

Last edited by Chris Goodwin; 02-04-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote