View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #225
Tomsdad

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
They do, but then slings, atl-atls and thrown weapons just replace the bows and crossbows in the examples. Not as bad, to be sure, at least in that it calls for strong men, but since a heavy infantry soldier will have minimum ST 12 almost by definition* and some will have more than the minimum, it would be nice to load the boarding pistols with something better at penetrating a breastplate than their other weapons.**

*See Kromm post on the high MinST of some historically common heavy infantry weapons.
**Fine boarding pike at thr+4, therefore minimum 1d+3 imp; boarding axe at sw+2, thefore minimum 1d+4 cut.
You make a good point about slings (but well same point really!)

I haven't see the Kromm post in question, but if it's MinST12 weapons mean Infantry must all have a minimum ST of 12, I'll disagree as I have in the past. But it's a moot here anyway that's an argument from realism and if I was running a Forgotten Realms campaign I wouldn't be stat normalising anyway ;-)!*

Either way, if you've got lots of infantry running around with ST12, just scale up your pistols accordingly (the ones in LT are generally MinST 9-10 or 11 but used two handed like the petronel bringing the MinST down). Pretty much like you have with the Giff guns and the Gnome pistol with the more powerful charge

More importantly for the battle field they'll also be able to use 4d+2 pi++ muskets comfortably without rests (so like the lighter guns in the list were)

And if you want them to be more like the historical Musketeer with a rest let them have that 5d+1 wall gun (or even something bigger).

What I think they actually end up with is more stuff like the fusils or flintlock carbine which will give you increased range and power over pistols in a package thats pretty handy for the ST12 solider (i.e the boundary between big long pistol and short handy long arm is pretty diffuse here)

*i.e. I suggest we don't derail this into another thread about ST.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-27-2016 at 02:44 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote