View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #25
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Pros and cons of dungeons for hack and slash roleplaying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
The dungeon format is popular because it works. Players are on a highly constrained path with an immutable environment and predictable environmental features like doors and stairs that they can prepare for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
A traditional dungeon has well defined boundaries that a party that without special abilities will not be able to breach.
Heh. Immutable? At least for a party without special abilities? I take it you guys have never had a group of PCs ask if they can take a pickaxe to a dungeon wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan
My greater concern is about "realistic". I've seen you grappling with D&D world construction and common sense in a lot of your posts. Ultimately if you want to get away from logical inconsistencies in a dungeon world you have to get away from a world where things are built into the game world so that they can be in the game world. Build your own game world starting from a place that makes sense to you.
"Pick a starting point and extrapolate forward from there" is a tempting, but I'm not sure it's always the best approach. I remember reading in an old GURPS alternate earths book that designing alternate earths often seems like it's about picking a point of divergence and extrapolating forward, but it often makes for a better game if you first decide what you want the world's "present" to be like and then go figure out a point of divergence that will give you that.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote