View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #42
Tomsdad

Default Re: Face & Neck location damage multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
There is a face location hit table in the upcoming loadouts book. It basically summarises the existing rules for face hits and all I did was put a random hit location number on each part. It seems pretty clear to me that a face hit is already worse than a torso hit. There is virtually no chance of not suffering from a secondary effect (even if it is just -5 to knockdown rolls) and the following doesn't even include the 1/6 chance of hitting the brain. I definitely would not support a damage multiplier for the face.

Face Hit Location Table
Helmets can have different attachments covering various parts of the face (see Face Protection, Low-Tech, p. 112). If the face is hit from the front, then roll 1d and consult the following to see which part of the face is hit.
1 – Jaw (-6 to hit): Any crushing hit gives an extra -1 to knockdown rolls. See Martial Arts, p. 137)
2 – Nose (-7 to hit): If damage is impaling, piercing, or tight-beam burning, then skull is hit. Any other damage that delivers HP/4 breaks nose. See Martial Arts, p. 137.
3 – Ear (-7 to hit): Any cutting attack that delivers over HP/2 removes the ear. See Martial Arts, p. 137.
4-5 – Cheek (-6 to hit)
6 – Eye (-9 to hit): Any armor surrounding the eyes (e.g. full helm, spectacles) will stop the attack. In order to bypass the armor, the eyes have to be targeted at -10 (see Harsh Realism – Armor Gaps, Low-Tech, p.101).

Note that unless specified, all face injuries get -5 to knockdown rolls. Critical hits use the Critical Head Blow Table. See Basic Set, p. B552 for more detail.
I think this is quite a good way to do it (just to be clear you basically replaced the existing face location by combining facial features locations given in MA).

So now you have a 1/3 chance of hitting the brain (with imp/p attacks) 1/6 of losing an ear, does it really take 6 pts to remove a 10HT man's ear (tough ear)? I don't have my books with me, does removing the ear soak the remaining damage (like limbs do) that makes ears quite erm.. ablative? Also I assume you get the same multipliers for wound types.

So if we average the actual multipliers from your table

Imp

1 x2
2 x4
3 x1 (assuming an ear counts as an arm or leg)*
4 x2
5 x2
6 x4

= x2.5 (mine would be x3, RAW x2) *x2 if it imp multiplier still applies, making thr average x2.66 (x3)

Cutting: yours is x1.5 mine x2.5 RAW x1.5
Crushing: yours is x1 mine x1 RAW x1
Corrosion: yours is x1.5 mine is x1.5 RAW x1.5

-Pen

1 x0.5
2 x4
3 x0.5**
4 x0.5
5 x0.5
6 x4

= x1.66 (x2), RAW x0.5, mine is x1.5 **now if it's a limb and Pen multipliers don't apply does that boost small piecing attacks to x1 (I'd rule not) EDIT: and it explicitly says it doesn't anyway.

Pen

1 x1
2 x4
3 x1
4 x1
5 x1
6 x4

= x2, RAW x1, mine is x2

+Pen

1 x1.5
2 x4
3 x1***
4 x1.5
5 x1.5
6 x4

= x2.25 (x2), RAW x1.5, mine is x2.5 *** doesn't actually change if the ear gets the x1.5 (it's x2.33 rather than x2.25)

Your's has more detail and greater differentiation between damage types, and the above comparison is also going to depend on the 'ear questions'. Mine's simpler. I like yours I have to say, and yours has the advantage of taking into account partial coverage from helmets (which was the initial point I guess).

EDIT: and its HP/4 to remove an ear (makes sense) however it also loses the rest of the damage, which doesn't*. By the same argument the eye and nose shot would loose the rest of their damages after destroying the eye and nose. However I think that's because the ear location write up in MA is there for longitudinal cutting blows that are specifically only tying to remove the ear. There the issue that the ear is at 90 degrees to those other body parts, but then that brings up another issue in that by actual physical location I'd ague te ear is on the head (skull) not face. and so on., and so on.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-26-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote