View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #34
Varyon

Default Re: Villains worth Stealing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Yep, and that scene illustrates his character, perfectly.
It was beautifully written, and absolutely horrifying.

As for Strickland, himself, he was more of the same "big picture/no compassion" villainy, and not nearly so interesting as either Jules-Pierre or Dresden.

Strickland's greatest contribution to the series was to make Amos one of everybody's favoritest sci-fi characters in any story, in any medium, EVAR! :)
Personally, I didn't feel Strickland was really a "big picture" kind of guy. He seemed more like the scientists that had their empathy surgically removed (albeit still able to feel fear, and thus not inclined to take similarly-extreme measures). All he seems to care about is the research itself, without any real goal in mind. At least, that's how I interpreted the character.

Amos himself could make for an interesting villain. He seems to have a similar affliction to what the scientists inflicted on themselves, but has just enough of a conscience to feel it's better to be on a morally right side than a morally wrong one (the scientists don't consider morality to be a legitimate factor in decision making). The problem is, he himself only has an incredibly vague sense of right and wrong, so he tends to attach himself to someone who he considers to have a good understanding of that (Naomi initially, but Holden later; I only just started watching Season 5, so I don't know if he handles things differently there or not). The Expanse's writers seem to like to play with this a bit - the above scientists are sort of like "Amos, with his shriveled speck of conscience gone," while Chandra Wei (Murtry's second-in-command in Season 4) is basically "Amos, but attached to the wrong person."