View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 07:07 AM   #33
Icelander

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#38): Dark Vision, Night Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Realistic NVGs cause Color Blindness, No Depth Perception and No Peripheral Vision (Tactical Shooting, p19). All of these are temporary, of course. The infra-red vision they give isn't as good as Infravision, maybe a -30% on that.

So they're Night Vision 9, for a base [9], plus a limited Infravision worth [7] Technological -10%, Temporary Disadvantages worth [-10]+[-15]+[-15]%, total cost [8] or so. The Green Eyes perk (Tactical Shooting, p38) takes off 20% of the limitations, making NVGs worth about [11].

The raw advantage has none of those problems noted, although I'd find it hard to object if a GM ruled that it gave No Color Vision. I reckon you need to buy Infravision, likely with limitations, to get the IR illuminators effect.
While Image-Intensifying Night Sights do allow some vision in the IR spectrum, they have never been noted as granting Infravision in GURPS terms.

None of the game benefits of Infravision accrue to someone using light amplification or starlight scopes. Notably, they do not work at all in total darkness, there is no bonus to spot warm targets, there is no bonus to Tracking, etc.

The way NVGs have always been written up in GURPS, only thermal-imaging sights give what GURPS calls Infravision (even then, it's a limited version).

It seems pretty clunky to have to buy limited Infravision to get something that has none of the game mechanical benefits that Infravision grants.

As an example of this being typical Perk fare, being able to hear lower or higher sounds than normal for humans is treated as Perks in Enhanced Senses. There are Advantages that do the same thing and also have more concrete game effects, but just the ability to hear a slightly wider register is a Perk. It allows you to use dog whistles as signalling devices, etc. It seems to me that this is pretty close to what the ability to see IR lasers and illuminators is.

Though I do grant that the ability to get an effective +2 bonus to Night Vision within the range of IR illuminators is useful, but that's simply being able to use certain equipment without having another gadget at hand, which seems typical for an Accessory Perk.

Last edited by Icelander; 04-02-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote