View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #87
Gavynn

Default Re: Lord of the Rings Elven Racial Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi
What I meant about Curufin (in War of the Jewels) is that Curufin didn't kill Eol, because the Eldar had laws against killing in revenge for any reason, no matter what the other person had done - even abducting and raping your cousin! And Tolkien goes on "Curufin could have slain Eol (as he greatly wished!) ... But this would have been in Eldarin law and sentiment murder..." although later after Eol murders Aredhel, Turgon does have him killed.
Very interesting, but I think it would have to go beyond Eldarin law to qualify for a a vow or other sort of thing. Typically I would not give out character points for a character who follows the laws of his lands.

Quote:
Well, there is this in War of the Jewels:
"They were, it seems, filled with an inherited bitterness against the Eldar, who they regarded as deserters of their kin, and in Beleriand this feeling was increased by envy... and by resentment of their lordliness."
Great find! That is going in...

Quote:
About ST, elves ahve a slender build and are not accustomed to physical labor as humans and dwarf do. This justifies for a -1 adjutment in my opinion, except maybe for the Noldor, though I think the power of the silmarils have more to do with body HT and magical power than physical build.
I agree completely with Vaevictis on this one. Nothing in the text leads me to think Tolkien intended for elves to be any less strong than Men - there is evidence to the contrary in fact.
Fantastic find. Thank you. That is going in...

Quote:
Elves can become "besotted with wine" as well, if we believe the words of Angrod in the Silmarillion.
And the woodelves of Mikwood certainly drunk themselves to sleep allowing for Bilbo's plan of escape.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote