View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #86
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: Lord of the Rings Elven Racial Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyll
As young elves have already lived for at least a century, that leave them a lot of time to master their skills, so high spell skills would'nt be suprising.
Yes, but they reach adulthood at age 50, not 100.
And to magery... think of the huge number of spells, such as flinging fireballs, healing wounds instantly, casting Gates, that can be cast with high Magery. When has an elf ever flung fireballs or teleported people by magic gates? That kind of magic doesn't even exist in Middle-Earth, except as something that Maiar and Valar might do.

Quote:
As GURPS IQ is not only raw brain power but also education and general knowledge, I think elves deserves this IQ bonus.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyll
About ST, elves ahve a slender build and are not accustomed to physical labor as humans and dwarf do. This justifies for a -1 adjutment in my opinion, except maybe for the Noldor, though I think the power of the silmarils have more to do with body HT and magical power than physical build.
Um.. what power of the Silmarils? The Noldor don't have inherent racial "silmaril power" but it sounds like that's what you're talking about. I don't understand what you mean.

As for strength... Tolkien once wrote (in Letters you can read it) of his irritation that people kept thinking that Legolas is girly. He wrote that legolas is strong and graceful, tall and lithe as a young willow, and not at all girly. Many elves were strong and deadly warriors. Being slender hasn't got a thing to do with being strong. And as for physical labor... they did all sorts of things. Hunting, hiking, smithing swords and armor, fighting with swords and bows and axes, mining and quarrying, carving stuff, climbing trees, building boats and ships, building huge buildings made of stone blocks...also several individuals such as Beleg and Angrod are described specifically as being very strong.

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 06-28-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote