View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #9
oneofmanynameless

Default Re: Being self aware of mental disadvantages

I generally assume that, as long as the character has a meaningful self-control roll, they are aware of the problem to some extent (although they may not think of it as a problem.) This is because the circumstances under which you make self-control rolls are when you're character things it would be a bad idea to indulge, not just whenever the opportunity arises. However, I think the self-control roll applies whenever you would take an action to avoid indulging, regardless of whether you're trying to avoid indulging right now or sometime later.

For example, if you were curious and wanted to lock yourself in the back of a truck so you wouldn't have to make any self-control rolls on a journey you'd have to make a self-control roll to do that, "Just think of all the big red buttons I won't be able to learn about if I do this!"

Or, if you're a pyromaniac wizard and some offers to teach you a fire spell you definitely have to make a self-control roll to say no if you want to try to say no (it's perfectly legitimate rollplaying to just not roll on the self-control roll and learn the fire spell!) Likewise, if you learn that the mage guild in town is teaching fire spells you'd have to make a self-control roll not to try to find the time to go learn some. You're teammates can use social skills to give you bonuses and penalties if you're using Influencing the PCs, and your GM can give you bonuses and penalties as they see fit based on how difficult/easy they think it would be to resist.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote