View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #19
Peter von Kleinsmid
The Fantasy Trip Line Editor

Default Re: Staff Countermeasures

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Note, Peter, that this use doesn't apply to the full Creation-spell range, but only one hex away.
Ah right, that's a good point.

Quote:
And I wasn't suggesting that a sword could be the object of a controlled fire either, though I did mention that the usual casting does burn on a target providing no fuel.

But I'd rule that a (wooden) staff is flammable enough that a controlled fire could be started.

All of the controlled versions of fire are smaller than the generic output and I sure wouldn't think they would cause the same amount of damage. They'd also be easier to extinguish than the garden variety.
Yes, exactly. The controlled use of fire to light a cigar, torch or beard is about lighting something... lightable. As opposed to setting a whole hex (even a stone floor) on fire for a minute. It seems to me this looks like a one-time effect that starts a fire, and the object then burns as it naturally would if touched with fire for a few seconds, so the cigar and torch keep burning... the beard and the staff are perhaps up to the GM to figure out exactly what happens, based on the target's reaction and what exactly the object is like.

Quote:
Your restriction that if the object moves, the fire is extinguished, makes the spell less useful (and less charming) as a cigar or torch lighter.
No, I just meant something like what you wrote above: that a "controlled use" would start the fire, but wouldn't artificially keep the fire going for 12 turns despite a lack of fuel.
Peter von Kleinsmid is offline   Reply With Quote