View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #17
hal

Default Re: Can a Scout ship have only one station in the bridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The 3e and 4e skill systems aren't that different. Unless you're just playing the game of rules citations for their own sake, I'd expect the modifiers to be compatible. But feel free to dig up the 3e equivalents of those rules. I still have my 3e Basic down in the basement somewhere, but not terribly handy. Nor as easily searchable as my 4e PDFs :)
When you cite a rules set that was not in use prior, it sort of makes sense that the rules for a new edition may not be the same as for the earlier edition. ;)

And - the PDF for the third edition is there (I picked up both compendiums and the main rule book for just that reason.)

In any event, the specific rule in GURPS TRAVELLER is on page 171 under the heading of Crew Positions and Skill rolls:

"Crew Positions and Skill Rolls Smaller vessels often have the same crewman performing multiple roles. If a crew member is filling multiple positions during a particular space combat round, he will suffer a -2 penalty on all skill rolls for each extra task he is performing.
Actions counted as tasks are: piloting; fire of one weapon or set of linked identical weapons (except sandcasters) at the same target; controlling one missile or a salvo; acting as a sensor operator; damage control; complex communications... (
"

Note, this does NOT include long term actions so much as short term actions in which multiple things are being done at the same time. The penalty, if any, may very well be that the "Maintenance" isn't be handled, or that at any given time, the skill set necessary for activity may not be needed 100% of the time, thereby allowing a single person to wear multiple hats during the time period in question.

It is not uncommon for a Purser to also have EMT training so they can handle the needs of decanting passengers from low berth - or even for handling medical needs despite not being a full fledged doctor. You don't see the Purser suffering a -2 penalty to either of their duties no?

In the end, you're always entitled to rule as you see fit for your campaign - and like you, I do use 4e with GURPS TRAVELLER (sans the 4e Tech tree or the GURPS INTERSTELLAR WARS ship building rules etc). I use the basic frame of rules - but with GURPS VEHICLES 2nd edition rules for all other things (including for the most part, computers).
hal is offline   Reply With Quote