View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
InexplicableVic

Default Re: How common are spellbooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
In all versions of D&D, a Wizard needs to study a spellbook every day in order to re-learn his spells for the next day. Therefore, its a necessity for adventuring wizards to carry the things around.

In DFRPG, there is no such requirement. It seems to me that it should therefore be a far rarer item in the world. So if I am converting a D&D adventure, and you kill a bad guy who is a spellcaster, I'm wondering if I should remove or limit some of the spellbook treasure.

It makes sense in the D&D module why the now dead spellcaster had the book, for he needed it to re-learn his spells for the next day. In this system, why would an arcane caster be carting around a book of spells he already knows?
Looking at the explanations for spellbooks on p. 76 of Exploits, and extrapolating from that, it seems to me that there is value to the wizard in question even if he or she knows the spell, which is: being able to increase one’s skill in the spell through study and practice. To be sure, in DFRPG, one does not lose skills through lack of use, but I think it’s a fair assumption that there is some re-reading and study taking place on a semi-regular basis. How often does a wizard actually cast Fireball, for example? Maybe several times per delve, but certainly not several times a day or even a week while in town. I agree, though, that a caster is not likely to cart it around; these would more likely be found in lairs or dwellings.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote