View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Bringing Inclusivity into TTRPGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think the one thing I would call a central takeaway from my experience is that players want to have and portray agency. Give them opportunities to make choices and produce outcomes, and make sure that all of them have such opportunities. And that's not something that can be accomplished by a system of game mechanics; it depends on the GM's care in managing a social group.
This is very sound advice. Doing it happens at multiple scales: the instant-to-instant conversation of play, the group's joint feelings, and the process of forming a group. Mine have not been so varied as Bill's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Moon View Post
That's a really good point about a characters feelings being so connected to the player. Something so obvious that I'd never considered! Thank you!
I've seen one particular GM getting that wrong many times. He has slightly too strong a desire for the story to proceed, and finds his own ideas of what should happen compelling. In a sense, a GM's role is not to produce story, but situations from which the players can produce story.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote